The health and well-being
Of your rabbit or other rodents starts with the ground they walk on
CONCERNING THE HEALTH THE FOLLOWING MUST BE CONSIDERED:
- Dust and dirt
- Toxins (There are strong indications that wood fibers made of pinewood and mainly cedarwood, contain toxins that damage the health)
- Added fragrances (Nice for Humans but not for animals)
- Mould and decay
- Sharp edges and hard granules (they cause foot sole problems and skin irritations)
- Risk of stomach congestion
The natural behaviour of small diggers:
- A minimum of 20 cm litter
- Litter (hemp, coconut, cotton Fibre, paper pellets) Needs structure to prevent collapse. (addition coconut Fibre, or other mixture)
CRITERIA OF GOOD BEDDING:
- Absorption of the urine
- Free or low in dust and dirt particles
- Suitable and pleasant foundation to lay and walk on
- It shouldn’t damage the health of the animal
- It must be fit their natural behaviour
NOT DIGGING KINDS:
Cotton, Hemp, Card board, Coconut, paper bases or a mixture of these items.
TO KEEP YOU EDUCATED:
A good home and bedding is just as important as good food.
FOR EXAMPLE, FOR A RABBIT APPLIES THE FOLLOWING ORDER:
- Concentrates, snacks and herbs and vegetables
A DUSTY ENVIRONMENT CAN CAUSE COMPLAINTS TO AIRWAYS AND EYES
Well-being is partly determined by the possibility to act out their natural behaviour. The environment should fit him.
Wrong shelter and food choices cause illnes in rabbits. Good care can prevent a lot of misery. ADVICE: Little concentrates and Unlimited hay
TO KEEP YOU EDUCATED
Infections caused by bedding is the most common reason of an early death. Rabbits and Guinea-pigs are very sensitive for cold and a moisty environment.Results: A miserable life, pneumonia and coughing.
Hard bedding can cause wounds to foot sole and skin, which can get infected. Problems to foot soles and skin irritation
WARNING CARETAKER IS ALSO AT RISK
Allergies - Respiratory infections and what more? Advice on bedding:
The bedding must be soft, comforable and fit the natural behaviour. Hard bedding cause stress and unnecessary animal suffering.
Most information is from the Landelijke Informatiecentrum Gezelschapsdieren (LICG). These are the minimum requirements animal welfare has to meet. We strive to accomplish the maximum! You too?